Search Engine Optimisation can be easily defined as an activity that helps make your website search engine friendly. When we say that, we mean it helps you come in top search results. However, it is also important to make your website user friendly. Content alone is powerful to get your website the due traffic & SEO will help you get audience with intent & also make them spend quality time on your website.
You need not be an SEO expert to optimise your website. Just a few basic points & discipline can give you visitors & also help convert them into your customers. Some of these SEO basics can easily be done & a few require some development, but all of these are essential for a good optimised website. Below is a list of important must haves from SEO perspective:-
1) Website navigation : A website’s navigation plays a very important role in the success or failure of any website. It is essential as it affects traffic & search engine rankings. Navigation must always be standard which is easily understood and expected by users. Anything different can be missed & lead to a higher bounce rate. Your navigation should definitely be descriptive as it let’s users decide what they really want to do on your site. Also remember to keep most important sections in navigation & in the order of priority.
1) Contact us : Main reason for including a contact us page on your site is to keep the opportunity of letting people reach you open. This will allow potential customers to get in touch with you. You must always try & add your contact number so that anyone visiting from mobile phones can simply add your number & directly call up your company. However if you don’t have a proper helpline then don’t add a number. Alternatively you can also add a contact form where visitors can add their mobile numbers/email ids. This will help create a database of you. Creating a contact form is recommended. You must remember that a contact page should never have any other details of your product or services as that is forced & really not required.
1) XML sitemaps : Google does not only rank websites, it also ranks webpages. An XML sitemap is to website what a blueprint is to a house. It lets Google find pages on your site. Having an XML sitemap is highly recommended because this definitely improves SEO for any website. After you have created your sitemap & uploaded on web server, you have to verify this with search engines. For Google you can verify this through Google Webmasters Tool. For starters this is good enough as Google is by far the most used search engine.
1) Meta Tags & Description : These are attributes which gives brief information of the content of webpages on your website. It may not be very important for search engine ranking but helps improving click through from search engines. This also helps users understand what kind of content they can expect on the site. Some websites show meta description basis the searches, however the same content is not available on the webpage and in this case the bounce rate of the page increases. It is always recommended to keep your meta description a brief description of what kind of content is on your site.
1) Header Tags : As the name suggests these tags are used to distinctly highlight the headings of the page from the rest of the content. There are about 6 tags; H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 & H6. H1 is the main headline & the most important. Engines compare the content with the header tag to check association, therefore always keep the keywords you wish to target in header matching with your primary keywords. H1 tags give a clear indication of what the page content is about. Always remember to keep one H1 tag per page & never use them as hidden text.
These are just a few of the points to build an SEO friendly website, but these are the most important. Your website can fall in the category of a good optimised website if all of this is taken care of.